Thursday, May 19, 2011

Sunday on the Coast

We made a bit of a detour on our way back from Seattle so Georgia could experience some of Oregon's spectacular coastline. The 101 crosses from Washington back into Oregon at Astoria, which means you get to drive over this terrifying and impressive bridge. My photos really don't capture the size of this thing, so I suggest we turn to Google image search for a better look. Yikes, eh?

Once safely over the giant bridge, we made a few scenic stops at beaches down the coast:


In the town of Garibaldi, we found some (I think?) now-disused relics of the Great Northern Railway, and the Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad, which is a railway museum that runs train tours down the coast. Putting that on the list should we ever be up that way again!

 Trains are pretty big, as it turns out


Reading up on the Great Northern Railway is fascinating - turns out it was the only successfully completed,  privately funded transcontinental railway in US history. Who has that kind of money, I wonder? I think I would settle for having enough cash just to cross this huge and beautiful country by train. One day!

No comments:

Post a Comment