Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Mid-week Round-up

What's happening here this week?

    1. You may remember tales of railway wanderings over the weekend - I neglected to mention that we decided to resurrect one of Paul's childhood pastimes and leave a quarter on the track, to see if we could come back and find it after the next train. We went back down to the tracks today, and look what we found. Flat as a tack!
      2. Tonight, like the good little hausfrau I am, I went to a bookclub at the Grass Roots Bookstore downtown. We talked about The Anthologist by Nicholson Baker, and while I didn't love it, it is always (or, usually) a pleasure to talk to people and to listen to people talk about books. I was also able to gather proof for my theory that all book club meetings must include a person who says "I just didn't get the point of it", and a person who relates the plot of the book to overly personal details of their own lives, usually starting sentences with "I had a therapist once who said...". Still, that's to be expected (according to theory, anyway), so it didn't interfere with my enjoyment of the conversation. Next month's selection, A Novel Bookstore, looks good so I think I'll go back again if we're not out of town.
        3. It wouldn't be a blog post without a food photo, would it? After book club, I met up with Paul and we headed to Squirrel's, the irresistibly-named downtown brew pub. I think I came across this place by googling "squirrels Corvallis", back when we first got here and I was trying to work out where all the damn squirrels were hiding. Google couldn't tell me, but it did lead us to a nice veggie burger, some nachos and a sample of Rogue Hazelnut Brown Ale. I have to say, this town is a beer lover's paradise and I am making a poor effort to sample all the brews on offer! Perhaps that should be next week's project?

      No comments:

      Post a Comment