Friday, April 15, 2011

Totes Hectose Friday Night


We're both a little sick and Paul's busy with school work, so the evening has been spent at home amongst much nose blowing and tea drinking. I'm back with the Shelleys, although sadly I have reached the point in Mary's biography where Percy is no longer with us. From Mary's journal (excerpted by Muriel Spark):
For eight years I communicated, with unlimited freedom, with one whose genius, far transcending mine, awakened and guided my thoughts. I conversed with him; rectified my errors of judgement; obtained new lights from him; and my mind was satisfied. Now I am alone - oh, how alone! The stars may behold my tears, & the winds drink my sighs; but my thoughts are a sealed treasure, which I can confide to none (...) But can I express all I feel? Have I the talent to give words to thoughts and feelings that, as a tempest, hurry me along? Is this the sand that the ever-flowing sea of thought would impress indelibly? Alas! I am alone.
 Certainly appropriate reading for a rainy evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment