Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Three Course Gonzo Dinner

The weather was superb today, cool but sunny and dry, so we decided to go for our first outdoor run - we chose this 5k loop as it starts in our neighbourhood (we're on the corner of Tyler and 21st), but then heads out to parts of Corvallis (a cemetary! A horse paddock!) that we hadn't yet explored. Apart from an easy 20 minutes on the treadmill at the gym yesterday, I haven't been running since our last week in Sydney, so to say that I ran today might be a little strong - staggered, dragged, coughed and wheezed are probably more appropriate terms. Still, I was feeling suitably exercised at the end of it and ready for a nice, homestyle dinner from Nearly Normal's Gonzo Cuisine, a vegetarian restaurant that has been providing big, sloppy lentil bowls to Corvallis since 1979.

 An Oregon Trail Witbier for me and a Ginseng Stout for Paul - witbiers seem to come with orange slices in them in this country. Is that a thing now, or what?

Spaghetti with red fennel sauce and tofu meatballs. I even ate the weird sweet American bread on the side.

Something strange happened here - at our table, we discussed dessert options (Yoghurt Extreme, Ben & Jerry's, take away brownie from the restaurant) and resolved not have anything, since dinner had been quite big. We walked downstairs, saw that they had homemade peanut butter pie on tonight's menu, and suddenly had the container in hand. Where does my mind GO at times like that? After momentarily becoming a pie-crazed pod person (and I wasn't alone there, I maintain that someone else may have helped to incite me to pie!), I couldn't not try it/eat all of it. And it was delicious.

1 comment:

  1. nima bought me a rickards white in toronto which is also a witbier and it had an orange slice in it. it was tasty.

    ReplyDelete