Monday, April 25, 2011

Meeting My Match in Eugene

Since we had the car on Saturday, we drove to Eugene (about an hour away) for dinner at Sushi Domo.

 They do a big selection of interesting and imaginatively named vegie rolls, as you can see below:

I think The Guido and Crop Burning were tied for the favourite of the evening.

There was a Wal Mart across the road that, of course, was still open when we finished dinner at 9pm. Having never been into a Wal Mart, and being curious about strange retail experiences in this country, I insisted we venture inside.

 Look, a wall of Jillian products! 

Unfortunately for my common sense (and my digestive system), the influence of Jillian wore off as the Desserting Hour approached. Loyal followers of the blog will recall that dessert in Eugene means... 


 
Here is a handsome man with a very sensibly proportioned doughnut.

 And here I am with a monster as big as my head.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Memphis Mafia - described on the Voodoo Doughnut website as:  
Fried dough with banana chunks and cinnamon sugar covered in a glaze with chocolate frosting, peanut butter, peanuts and chocolate chips on top!
 How could I resist?!

With a little help (and some cajoling) from Paul, I finished the whole thing, but this bad boy pretty quickly turned from incredibly delicious to completely nauseating, and I spent all day yesterday lying on the couch, watching back to back episodes of RuPaul's Drag Race and nursing my doughnut hangover. I am two days late to write this post because the thought of even looking at the photos turned my stomach, which, by the way, has still not quite forgiven me despite litres of digestive tea and a healthy dose of probiotic yoghurt this morning. Needless to say, I will be going easy on the eating for at least a few days so my poor internals can recover!

No comments:

Post a Comment