Monday, April 4, 2011

McCulloch Peak

It seems like the done thing to participate in outdoor leisure activities on a Sunday afternoon, so Paul found us a hike, up to the highest point in McDonald Research Forest (I wish my uni could boast a forest - Victoria Park really doesn't compare).


 Hitting the road

 A break in the trees, about a third of the way up

 We popped out of the forest onto the side of a logged, hilly area. All a bit appocalyptic!

My camera wasn't really up to the task, but the colours in the forest were incredible. Do Oregonians have a hundred words for "green"?

 We made it!

 
A protein-rich lunch for weary walkers


Lunch on the peak

We were (read: I was) a little concerned about the possibility of bears, cougars, snow storms, and getting lost on the side of a mountain, but it seems I needn't have worried - with the help of a photographed map, the trail was reasonably easy to follow, and the only critters we encountered were some puppy dogs out for their Sunday walks and a couple of tiny chipmunks.

By the time we made it down the hill, we were ready for the next adventure (i.e., dinner). Since we still had the car we decided to explore Albany, another town about 20 minutes away. As it turns out there's not much going on in Albany on a Sunday evening, but we did find the Riverview Mongolian Grill, and so tucked into some delicious custom stir fry for dinner. I was too building my own delicious vegetable concoctions to take any photos, but my mind is blown by this Mongolian grill concept! How did I not know about this already? Why do we not have these in Australia? I think I shall refuse to come home until someone sets one up!

No comments:

Post a Comment